4.22.2009

the sky is falling

You know what's weird? I think I've finally come to terms with my skills and talents..

It sounds kind of lame, and pretty much /really/ cliche, but I've sort of come to a point where I love what I'm doing with my life thus far. As if over night, I've fallen in love with design. Admittedly, I don't think I'm nearly as good as I -should- be at it (and I say -should- because, well... I'm basing this on the fact that I've been in school for it for three years now). I find myself spending hours on different graphic design websites, looking for inspiration and gaining new knowledge and ideas in the subject. I love looking at other people's work, and I love applying new techniques to mine. I love knowing that one day, I'll be responsible for making great graphic design, drawing crazy illustrations... doing what I love to do! And I can't believe it's taken me almost 21 years to realize this.
Design is pretty much everywhere, and although might seem minimal, there is sooo much behind a single design, and ysdn has taught me that. I love the thought process of developing something beautiful, and something that will have an effect on others.

Don't get me wrong, photography, music, art in general are all huge, hugeeeee parts of me and who I am. I love them, and without them I think my life would pretty much be empty. I want to incorporate everything I love into my future career, and Design lets me do that! My photography, my drawing, painting, illustrations, my music, my anything and everything can be incorporated into my designs... in any way I want them to be!
It's perfect.

(i know, this rant is really cliche.. i warned you)

Anyway, i made a list. (YA baby)
What I love about design:

- I feel like I think more deeply about everything... everything!
- I question things that generally would not be questioned by others, and by doing this, I feel like I'm always learning more
- I pick advertisements apart and seek their secrets within the designs -- I like knowing what makes me want something.
- I constantly wonder what marketing strategies companies are using... and personally analyze them to determine whether or not they're successful (i'm a friggin loser.)
- I know words like 'kerning' and use them out of context because I think it's funny that you don't know what it means. ps; i kerned your mom yesterday after the leading convention.
- I love my developed sense of attention to detail
- Design is absolutely everywhere, and unless you know about design, you wouldn't even guess it was there majority of the time.
- I've learned that any unnatural, un-human reaction/response by anything other than a living thing is an outcome of design.
- As much as I hate to do it or create it (mostly because I CAN'T), I /love/ interactive design. admit it, it's friggin' cool.
- Who knew typography would have such a hold on me? <3



* * * * my absolute favorite * * * *


I couldn't tell you why I love this one so much... something about the cropping, the composition, the colour balance... the overall feeling of it just really gets me. It doesn't feel like my photo. I don't look at this and see something that I took -- which is sorta exciting. Because it's often I feel this way about other people's work... but when it comes to my pictures, I feel repetitive. This seems different, new, fresh and... just, not typical. I personally just really really like it. heh..

13 comments:

  1. Yay, first port (OK, now I'm the loser)

    First up, seriously amazing bokeh!
    I can't wait for you to post the first on dA.

    Second, I like the way the focus on the last shot is near your face, but not exactly on it, somewhat looking through it, focusing instead on the window. (interesting, because people tend not to focus on the window).

    Personally, I prefer the third shot.
    I'm still trying to work out if it has to do with the focus or the pose. Maybe I'm just accustomed to your photos focusing on you. (bad fan, but I'll come 'round soon ehough)


    Oh, right, about the rest:
    Good to hear you've found a new meaning to your life and I'm looking forward to seeing how you're expressing yourself in design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll have to try harder than this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. geez, what are they teaching you at university? can you get a refund? ...at least a discount?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is this miccaren sucka?! I'll give him a round house kick to the chops complete with uppercut and a devastating hammer-punch to the heart.

    Miccarren...micarren...oh wait.
    ohhh no.

    By roundhouse kick to the chops I meant a firm handshake...
    And by uppercut / devastating hammer-punch to the heart I meant the utmost respect.

    You already know I think your pictures rock--but your font is smaller than small in my firefox frame. What's up :( It looks like a 6 pt font (0.5 picas?)

    <3 hearts pour vous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures! :) They look so serene and I really like the coloring -- my friend saw me looking at 'em and said they look like a scene out of Final Fantasy haha.

    I also think it's awesome that you're really starting to enjoy everything that makes you who you are; so few people ever actually get to that point in their lives so I'm glad you found it early. :) Your comment about design and advertising is interesting 'cause if you haven't taken psychology before, there's something called classical conditioning and it's often associated with advertising... look it up if you're interested, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha oh man! alright! here goes;

    kitgerrits: I actually posted the bokeh one on dA... but after thinking about it I thought it wasn't really 'worthy'... :$ hehe.. i didn't wanna take away from the last one I've posted, so I took it down, and sent the -other- picture I had posted to scraps! hehe I like how the focus wasn't on the face either... it was kind of neat to know that -i'm- not the focus of the picture (for once.. hehe)! Thanks for your comment =)

    mommy; fanks <3 :)

    dad; why can't you be more like mommy? :)haha! and hey... it could be worse.. i could be.. uh.. majoring in sculpting.


    mattyface; ooo picas, i'm impressed ;) hehe you know how a designahhh likes it! heh.. and uhm. i'm waiting for my dad to see what you said an post some sort of reply HAHA! :D

    Christa; (ps i miss you) thanks loads for the comment! Final Fantasy seems about fitting now that you mention it! haha!!
    ahh yeah, it seems like it's such an important part of life to know what you want to do, and love/accept doing it!! And I'm just happy that I've sort of got it figured out (for now, at least!) hehe =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh Matt...

    I'm sure glad my daughter likes you.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. By more like Mom, do you mean full of praise based on a level of love for a offspring, rather than constructive criticism aimed at inspiring you on to higher levels of achievement, fame and recognition, so you can earn enough money to put me in a nice home when I get older?

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S.

    Do something about the type size. Unreadable in Firefox

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Karae: You're welcome!

    @Miccaren: Seems like she's listening like a good daughter should ( AKA not at all ;) )
    For the moment, you can work around it with [CTRL]-++
    Firefox will enlarge the entire site, letters and all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy crap Kara, I love those pictures! You are outstanding and never think otherwise! I actually like them best all together, I might have to make a desktop for myself, a little inspiration I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete